Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:31:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: help w/connecting to my isp

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, leegold wrote:

> http://www.starpower.net/support/linux/faq/general/index.html
>
> Above is the link. I greatly appreciate
> your help! Again I appreciated it.
>
> >===== Original Message From Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org> =====
> >Send me the link on the linux docs and I will instruct you in the fine
> >art of ppp.
> >

> >Scott
> >
> >leegold wrote:
> >>
> >> I am having a very frustrating time w/freebsd
> >> trying to learn how to connect w/my isp.
> >>
> >> The isp is erols/starpower/rcn. They have some docs.
> >> for linux but I can not make the leap to implementing
> >> for freebsd.
> >>
> >> I have seeked help on the net from the appropiate groups
> >> and so far people have been sending me huge customized
> >> config files which have dsl support, firewalls - who knows what!
> >> I've got kernel recompile instructions from people...
> >>
> >> ALL I am looking for is help preferably by someone who
> >> has recently connected to this ISP via dial-up modem directly.
> >> No gateways, no ethernet. Just a hardware modem directly.
> >>
> >> I can't find this info anywhere. Is there anyone who uses these
> >> isps or is willing to review the Linux documentation
> >> for connecting to them and help propperly configure FreeBSD?
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >> with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message

Do what their web page says for /etc/resolv.conf
The /etc/host.conf file already has what's right (just hosts before bind)
	so do nothing there
Then, just edit /etc/ppp/ppp.conf as other responder said--just
fill in phone, username, and password.

The linux ppp is different from FreeBSD's and not all the stuff in
the file is the same.

	Annelise

P.S. set device /dev/cuaa0 for COM1 for cuaa1 for COM2
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC