Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 13:15:08 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS PCI SC-200 under -stable?

On Feb 1, 22:19, "Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
} Subject: ASUS PCI SC-200 under -stable?
}
} Hi...
}
} 	I just picked up an ASUS PCI SC-200 SCSI controller and tried
} to install it on a -stable kernel, and it failed to boot.
}
} 	The "BIOS" finds it, and the drives, and FreeBSD seems to find
} it, or at least, it prints up what I expect it to in the boot phase.
} It finds it at the right INT/IRQ, and puts it on 'pci0:11', all as I
} expect.

Which IRQ does it find ?
Are you sure that IRQ has not been assigned to some
ISA device ?

There currently is NO conflict checking between PCI
and ISA devices, though I've got code ready for test
that will repair this ...

Could you please try booting the kernel up to the panic,
and then boot some other kernel that is known to work.
Check, whether the second kernel can get at the first
one's message buffer (i.e. whether 'dmesg' still gets
at the messages from the failed boot attempt ...)

} 	The next line doesn't come, just a panic, and the reboot is so
} quick, that I can barely focus on the screen to start writing before
} it reboots (doesn't feel like the 15secs it says)
}
} 	So, the question is, are there any known problems with the driver
} in -stable, or anywhere that I should be looking for where the problem is?

Well, I can assure you, that the driver in -stable
should work with the ASUS SC-200 just fine ...
There has been one trivial change in January, the
last substantial change was back in October 1995.

Guess there is some hardware configuration proble,
e.g. the card might be jumpered to use some PCI
interrupt line other than IntA.

} 	I don't know if maybe I've left out something from my kernel,
} included is my config file for the current kernel:

Seems fine except for the fact, that there are quite
a number of devices, that surely don't all fit into
your system :)

And I now think, that one of them conflicts with the
IRQ assigned to the NCR ...

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160