Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:00:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jordan Klein <haplo@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_msdos -- is it safe yet?

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Chris Dillon wrote:

> Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> >
> > Has the support for DOS mounts in RELENG_2_2 progressed yet to the point
> > where it would be safe to mount my 1.6 gig DOS/Win95 drive (one huge
> > partition) without fear of corrupting my ufs?
> >
> > Sorry if this is an untimely question, but I haven't seen it come up in a
> > while.
>
> I'm not sure if it is your UFS partitions that are in danger of being
> corrupted, but rather the DOS partitions.  I have mounted my DOS
> partitions as read-only for quite some time now without any problems at
> all. I have even on occasion remounted them as writable and thrown some
> files on them.  I think as read-only they are quite safe.  The only time
> there may be some problems, if there are still any problems to speak of,
> is when they are writable.

I don't know about that.  A while back, I mounted my win95 partition
(1 gig) just to send a file over the internet to someone.  Once that was
done, my UFS partition was trashed, forcing me to reinstall FreeBSD.  I
don't remember the exact version of FreeBSD I was using at the time.  I
think it may have been 2.1-Stable, or 3.0-Current.  Since then, I have
been VERY gunshy mounting dos partitions.

I have mounted my dos partition several times with 2.2-Stable, and have
yet to receive any problems, though.

---
   Jordan Klein                        Playing with FreeBSD and loving it
   jklein @ theramp . net                               haplo @ ibm . net
   http://www.theramp.net/jklein                       http://www.ibm.net
   Spam me and die                 Remove spaces from email addr to reply