Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:55:10 -0400
From:      "Jonathan T. Sage" <sagejona@theatre.msu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Current Mail List <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

--------------enig740B3BBC3936965D821AE9A9

Attempting to do hardware upgrades.  alas, since I dropped in a new
motherboard / processor combo, I get (hand transposed):

fault virtual address	= 0x5e
fault code		= supervisor write, page no present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc062d6e1
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xe0f03b7c
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xe0f03b7c
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 45 (syncer)
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault

this is not a debug kernel.  In fact, this latest one occurred while I
was attempting to build said debug kernel.  Single user mode, 5.x as of
right around 5.3-BETA2 tag, may have been close to 5.3-BETA3.

Any more info I can provide, gonna keep attempting to build the debug
kernel, hope that one of these attempts it will finish before the panic
(seems to be happening withing 15min of boot)

I'm just totally dead in the water at this point..  ideas please?

thanks ~j

--
Jonathan T. Sage
Theatrical Lighting / Set Designer

"He said he likes me, but he's not in-like with me."- Connie, King of
the Hill

[HTTP://www.JTSage.com]
[HTTP://design.JTSage.com]
[sagejona@msu.edu]