Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:11:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      MARC Giannoni <marc@cmc.eng.comsat.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing 'FreeBSD-stable' compiled sources.

 I successfully SUPped FreeBSD-stable from ftp.cdrom.com.  This was easy!

 Next, I got the new sources to compile but I had to blow away the current
 system's "/usr/include".  This took about two days!

 Then, when I went to install the new binaries, everything blew up when the
 shared libraries were updated.  I was able to restore them from a backup
 so no harm done.  Whew!

 What is the suggested bootstrapping procedure here.  I am currently running
 FreeBSD-2.0 from Walnut Creek CD-Rom.  I believe that FreeBSD-stable is
 actually FreeBSD-2.1.

 Am I doing something really stupid? -OR- Is there a much easier way to
 accomplish what I am trying to do (Upgrade!)?

 | Marc V. Giannoni             | Voice:    (301) 428-2547             |
 | COMSAT Mobile Communications | Fax:      (301) 601-5959             |
 | 22300 Comsat Drive           | Internet: marc@cmc.eng.comsat.com    |
 | Clarksburg, MD 20871         | Title:    Software Engineer          |