Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 16:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <combssf@salem.ge.com>
To:        Gestur A Grjetarsson <gestur@islandia.is>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux overriding Default Gateway

We've seen this symptom here at GE Drive Systems.  It's usually caused by
someone running routed in the 'advertise routes' mode.  IF they run routed
with the '-q' switch the problem goes away!  It appears to be a bug in the
Linux networking software, because no matter WHAT we set the system up for
it will take the FIRST ARP packet and advertise itself as the 'route of
last resort' to that IP address/MAC address.  If you just run routed in
quiet mode the problem appears to go away (altho' I've told our informal
Linux community they shouldn't be running routed AT ALL but just insert a
default route to our master router.).

- ----
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:	CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
GE DS&TC		 	 Voice:		540.387.8828
Network Services		 Home:		CombsSF-Home@Salem.GE.COM
1501 Roanoke Blvd                FAX:		540.387.7106
Salem, VA  24153                 LapTop:	CombsSF-Mobile@Salem.GE.COM