Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:30:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Adam D. Gorski wrote:

> Ok, let me be a bit more specific. I actually e-mailed this list about this
> problem about a week ago, but got no response. So here are the details.
>
> I moved to FreeBSD just recently from Slackware. Everything runs
> beautifully, except my sound. I originally had a SB PCI 64 (es1370 chip) in
> my box, which Linux loved and everything was happy. However, under FreeBSD,
> playing mp3/ogg files produced terrible popping/screeching that made the
> music unlistenable. Note: under Linux, I had no problems. My box is a p2-450
> with 256 megs of ram, so I would think that playing mp3's wouldn't be an
> issue.

ok, we have eliminated that particular theory. this should be a mitee-fine
box for the job.

> I was told that perhaps my sound card is whacky, so I ordered a SB 16 PCI,
> which is what I have installed right now. Unfortunately, the problem
> persists. I can cat au files and play wavs in xmms just fine, but mp3's
> still crack. I've searched google for hours, I've tried everything I could
> find in the mailing list archive, through google, and in #freebsd, but
> nothing helped. What I did to get sound:
>
> While making my custom kernel, I included 'device pcm', which I thought is
> all I needed, and did the 'sh MAKEDEV snd0' step as well.
>
> Since then I've tried many variations of the kernel options, but nothing
> helped. I've been told that this sounds like an IRQ problem, but I have
> since switched the IRQ my SB is on (was 10, now it's 5) and that didn't
> help. Currently in my kernel I have this line:
>
> device    pcm0 at isa? port? irq 11 drq 1 flags 0x15
>
> but for some reason the FreeBSD still puts the card under IRQ 5. It _is_ a
> PnP card, so I thought 'device pcm' was all I needed, but I'm not sure
> anymore.

device pcm is all you should need, you are correct about that.

> Here is some relevant output once again:
>
> from dmesg:
> pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xa000-0xa03f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0

so, lessee here.
it's probably getting probed and attached in the pnp portion, so it's
going to ignore your pcm config arguments. at worst, your pcm arguments
will cause grief later in the boot process, but i dunno for sure.

so, here's *my* wild-ass collection of guesses and things to try :-)

check that the PNP stuff in the bios is turned on, and add

option PNPBIOS

to your kernel config.

if it *still* sux, get *rid* of all of your pcm stuff in your kernel and
try and kldload the moduele directly from the console and see if you get
any errors... i think there is a module that you could load directly, but
i cant get to my fuckin box at home from work this morning....my ssh keeps
hanging there.

> And the output of pciconf and vmstat can be found here:
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~agorski/vmstat
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~agorski/pciconf

hey, why do you have the realtek *and* the 3com? interrupts are not a
limitless resource on an x86....is this just your local bridge to your
roomates box or something?

> So as you see, the problem is something I've been desperately trying to
> resolve. If anyone has any clues or suggestions, I would love to hear them.
> Thanks you.

keep poking. i'll help a bit.