Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:25:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Thomas P. Holmes [ Systems ]" <tholmes@thebiz.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   disk slices

I've searched the archieve but I'm not 100% sure so I thought I would ask.

I just did a fresh install of 4.4-Release throught the net using the
floppy boot disks.  When the drive was partitioned is created:

/dev/da0a /
/dev/da0b swap
/dev/da0e /var
/dev/da0f /usr

Now I have a 4.3-RElease machine that I made world on to upgrade to
4.4-release and that is partitioned

/dev/da0s1a /
/dev/da0s1b swap
/dev/da0s1e /var
/dev/da0s1f /usr

Did the "slicing" change from 4.3 to 4.4?

So this is the message I found that was some what related, I just wanted
to double check before I try to put this box into production.

>> Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:55:52 -0400 (EDT)
>> From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
>> To:        Theo Purmer (Tepucom) <theo@mail.tepucom.nl>
>> Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject:   Re: error booting after install on compaq ds20

>> How did you lay out your disk paritions?  FreeBSD's root (/) fs must be
>> in the "a" partition, and the "a" partition must be the first one on
>> the disk.  Also, you must use a BSD disklabel and no fdisk slices (eg,
>> root is /dev/da0a and not /dev/da0s1a).

>> Drew

Thanks!

 ________________ http://www.BiznessOnline.com ________________

 Thomas Holmes                    Bizness Online
 Unix Systems Engineer	          Suite 1801
 tholmes@thebiz.net		  11 North Pearl St.
 (518) 533-6522	                  Albany, NY, 12207