Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TCP (http) problem

I'm having a TCP problem with my system (-stable).

For close on the last 6 months, when I connect to my ISP (teleport.com)
using my 28.8 Microcom, pppd and Linux Netscape 4.06, I've had problems
recieving data from 'altavista.digital.com'. Initially access was sporadic,
now it fails 100% of the time.

More recently I've started to have the same problem with 'www.wellsfargo.com'
or 'https://banking.wellsfargo.com'.

If I reboot into Win NT 4.0 (connect to the same ISP), I can access the problem
sites with no problems (using IE4.0).

In each case, the TCP connection is made, Netscape shows this (as does
netstat and a brief sequence of XMIT/RECV on the modem).

However, no data is ever recieved by the application (confirmed by no RECV
light on the modem, just the occasional blinking of the XMIT light - Netscape
resending?)

Eventually the http connection will time out.

I've upgraded -stable, the Linux version of Netscape to v4.06, tried my old
BSD Netscape 3.0 all with the same results. The BSD Netscape _used_ to work
fine, as did the Linux versions.

I posted to -stable and someone suggested I disable TCP extensions (I'd already
tried this) and also to try sending large ICMP packets (1472) to see if it was
a fragmentation problem. The pings worked fine.

I realise this sounds kind of crazy, but I really don't think it is an ISP
issue, but I'm all out of ideas as to what to try.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. It's starting to drive me
nuts.

Tony