Date:      07 Sep 2000 13:45:08 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How are future Python ports going to be handled?

Thanks for asking, I was going to write this mail anyway. :-)

Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za> writes:

> There's so much breakage involved in going from 1.5.2 to 1.6 that I
> personally wouldn't think it's advisable to update the lang/python port to
> 1.6 straight away.  Maybe we'll be faced with the less-than-ideal situation
> where we'll have multiple ports installing multiple versions, with (possibly)
> multiple binary names(?)

There will be:

lang/python15    (repo-copy already done)
lang/python      (1.6 for now, 2.0 when it's out)
lang/python-beta (2.0b1 for now, will be killed again later)

I will modify all the ports that install extensions into
.../python1.5/site-packages to check for python1.5:lang/python15 as to
not break package building. These upgrades will happen tomorrow (I
have the changes ready, just wait another day).

I also wrote a bsd.python.mk which should handle the case of
installing an extension for an older version of python, i.e. you
should be able to say `cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter; make
PYTHON_VERSION=python1.5' and have it build and install the stuff into
/usr/local/lib/python1.5 instead of, say, /usr/local/lib/python2.0.
This can also be used to build things like zope or mailman which might
expect an older python version.

I think this should cover most bases.

tg