Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:56:31 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org, tr49986@rcc.on.ca
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

After mulling this over for a few days I can see that /etc/defaults is
probably going to be a good thing. From your other mail, /usr/src/etc isn't
any good for holding default system parameters since

a) it might not be around since it's not in root. My previous suggestion of
/usr/share fails this criteria as well, wasn't thinking clearly :-)
b) it might not be around because there are no sources installed.

If /etc/defaults is truly RO (I think the immutable flag should be set on
those files to stop idle tampering) then it will solve the /etc upgrade
problem or at least alleviate it greatly.

Adding new knobs will be a doddle, the default file gets a new knob, with
it's default setting and it'll just work. Changing the defaults for an
existing setting are likewise not a problem.

The local admin will still need to take a parse over the /etc settings when
an upgrade is done to see if the defaults still suit the local requirements
but the actuall installation of the new files can finally be automated
without clobbering local settings and major changes to subsystems can take
place without a lot of user intervention to upgrade the /etc/files by hand.

> They're going into /usr/share/examples/ppp soon.  I have some other
> things (like tcl scripts for answering chap challenges) that will go
> in there, and it's a more generic place....
>
> Besides, with all this activity, it'd be nice to get out of /etc
> altogether :-)

Have another think about it. /etc/defaults does have its merits but it isn't
going to work well unless everyone buys into it.

Paul.