Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:58:44 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Vladimir Dubrovin <vlad@sandy.ru>, Tim Yardley <yardley@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        news@technotronic.com, bugtraq@securityfocus.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: explanation and code for stream.c issues

On Jan 22,  1:41pm, Vladimir Dubrovin wrote:
} Subject: Re[2]: explanation and code for stream.c issues

} >>Attack  can  be  easily  changed  to send pair SYN and invalid SYN/ACK
}
} My  mistake  here - SYN/ACK packet isn't required. Sorry, i wrote this
} message after 11 hours of work.

Only 11 hours, I've been here for 22, minus a couple hours of breaks.

} Intruder sends SYN packet and then sends, lets say 1000 ACK packets to
} the  same port from same port and source address. SYN packet will open
} ipfilter  to  pass  all  others  packets.  This  attack  doesn't  need
} randomization for each packet.

Instead of producing RST responses, this will produce ACKs. Your earlier
comment about this prompted my comment in another thread about the
possible need to rate limit ACK packets.

} By  the way - published stream.c doesn't use ACK bit at all.
}     packet.tcp.th_flags         = 0;

There was a correction published that changed this to set the ACK bit.