Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:26:29 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Alexandr A. Listopad" <laa@laa.zp.ua>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trap 12...

In message <20010301135120.C4246@laa.zp.ua>, "Alexandr A. Listopad"
writes:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 12:35:37PM +0100, Christoph Sold wrote:
> >
> > Since nobody answered, I'll jump in.
> >
> > Does the box die always at the same point (i.e. within the same
> > program)?
>
> no.
> random crashes in the evening...
>
> > Have you tried to build your own kernel? Does this succeed always?
>
> I have my own kernel, you can see it in the attachment.
>
> > If building a kernel fails, chances are you got bad hardware. RAM is a
> > primary suspect for bad hardware wich goes undetected for a long time.
>
> may be..
>
> now, I'm update FreeBSD to yesturday -STABLE. and have another one
> crash...

Segmentation faults are indicative of hardware problems.  Causes are,

- bad memory
- bad L2 cache
- bad CPU
- overclocked CPU
- overheated CPU:
  - bad fan
  - plugged (with dust) fan
  - poor air circulation in your computer

I just fixed a fan plugged with dust.  So far my system has been
running nicely -- no crashes.  I am unsure whether the plugged fan,
which caused my CPU to overheat, had caused any permanent damage to my
CPU.  If the system doesn't crash over the next 30 days, it's probably
fine.  If not, I may have to replace the CPU.  Maybe someone who has
more hardware experience than I can answer this.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC