Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:40:07 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
Cc:        Mike Lempriere <mike@vintners.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@byshenk.net
Subject:   Re: mergemaster broken -- take 2

--==_Exmh_1231742407_89602P

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:22:40 +0200
> From: Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Mike Lempriere wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for the advice -- I got it working this time just
> > fine.  Works much better when one follows the directions accurately
> > instead of by memory -- the bottom line is that this time I remembered
> > to jot down the commands before heading downtown to the machine rack
> > room where there's no browser access...  I started over and followed
> > UPDATING:
> >  cd /usr/obj
> >  rm -R *
> >  cd /usr/src
> >  rm -R *
> >  cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup10.freebsd.org |& tee /root/cvsup-090108.out
> >  make buildworld |& tee /root/make-buildworld-090108.out
> >  make kernel KERNCONF=GENERIC |& tee /root/make-kernel-090108.out
> >  users
> >  ps ax | more
> >  shutdown -r now
> You can go into single user without rebooting just by issuing command:
>
> # shutdown now
>
> NOTE: Network access will be shut down also, so you should be on your
> console then.

Did you even bother reading Oliver's explanation as to why it's a very
bad idea.

The official upgrade procedure can be modified if you know EXACTLY what
you are doing, but it is unwise to suggest that you can go ahead without
adequate knowledge of the risks. Please don't suggest skipping the
reboot. Feel free to do so yourself, but don't expect much sympathy when
an upgrade blows up and a system is down for several hours while you
clean up the mess.