Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:16:16 -0500
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        ewdafa <ewdafa@ewdafa.b0rk.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: @comment ORIGIN

ewdafa wrote:

> Ello,
>  The recent addition of the ORIGIN comment is great. It's allowed me to whip
> up a ports checking tool that checks out /var/db/pkg/ for installed packages
> and then looks under /usr/ports for updated versions of the packages. BUT,
> there are some inconsistencies.. these are probably down to the package
> maintainers themselves.
> I found that mysql323-client and mysql323-server both have a strange
> Makefile scheme thats different to other ports e.g.
> mysql323-client:
> PORTNAME=    ${MASTERPORTNAME:S/-server/-client/g}
> mysql323-server:
> PORTNAME?=    ${MASTERPORTNAME}
>
> It seems the client is just a kind of wrapper around the server, but, it
> would still be handy to have the proper information in there. Hm.
> This at the moment is the only thing breaking my app, apart from that it
> seems to work quite well.

That is a master/slave port.  There are several of them.  What you need
to do, should do, is "make -V PORTNAME".  Check the man page, but -V
will print the value the makefile creates for any variable.

housley@baby:~ {2} cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-client/
housley@baby:...s/databases/mysql323-client {3} make -V PORTNAME
mysql-client

That is the best way to get any of these.  Hope this helps.

Jim
--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .