Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 15:34:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Martin Jangowski <bsd@birdland.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to install FBSD on HP Netserver LC

Hi!

After running FBSD 2.1.x on our two HP Netserver LC for more than a year,
I tried to upgrade them to 2.2.x. Initially, I had some problems with
these machines, but got them to work with hints from this lists.

In the FBSD Handbook, it is shown how to use the "eisa 12" command to get
the onboard SCSI controller to work. The 2.1.6.1 kernel running for a year
now was patched in the approbiate include file and was working flawlessly.

To install 2.2-stable on our spare machine, I booted it with a
2.2.1-RELEASE CD in the drive. It came up, I booted with "boot: -c",
selected the CLI editor, entered "eisa 12" and "quit" and it merrily
started to boot the kernel. It recognized the controller

ahc0: <Adaptec aic 7770 SCSI host adapter at 0xbc00-0xbcff IRQ 15>
ahc0: on Eisa Slot 11

found the disks and other devices and continued to boot. However, after a
few more lines it said:

npx0: on Motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
apm0: disabled, not probed
ahc0: Brkadrint, Illegal Host Access at seqaddr = 0x0

and hung. I tried to boot with a 2.2.2-RELEASE bootfloppy and got the same
result...

Any ideas how to get this machine up and running?

Martin

| Martin Jangowski              E-Mail: maja@birdland.rhein-neckar.de |
| Voice: +49 621/53 95 06                       Fax: +49 621/53 95 07 |
| Snail Mail: Koenigsbacher Str. 16      D-67067 Ludwigshafen Germany |
| RNInet e.V.                                   Rhein-Neckar Internet |