Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:17:14 +0000
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Simon Lindgren <lindgren@istudio.no>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Caching-only DNS?

Simon Lindgren wrote:

> I wrote:
> >>
> >> My accessprovider (leased line) runs our DNS requirements on his own
> >> servers (we do not run
> >> 'named' or equivalents on our FreeBSD machine).
> >>
> >> Recently, nslookup's have started to fail all the time, with "query
> >> refused" messages.
> >> This happens only when ran from the shell - using telnet etc to domains
> work.
> >>
> >> I asked them about this, and they said that they've discintinued allowing
> >> "zone transfers" - and
> >> that my server probably asks for a zone transfer upon doing a 'nslookup'.
> >> Another
> >> possibility was that we ran something called "caching-only DNS'.
> >>
> >> How do I disable either? Or is there another solution? Not being able to do
> >> lookups is a major pain.
>
> "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com> wrote:
> >
> >The question is, how are you doing queries with nslookup? Are you using
> >ls?
> >and what is your query type set as.

> I cannot say what query I use with nslookup - when I type 'nslookup' at the
> prompt,
> it responds with:
> *** Can't find server name for address 194.198.118.130: Query refused
> (194.198.118.130 is our primary DNS)
>
> So, I cannot get *into* nslookup at all.

Now that's weird. I tried it and just got in with no problem:

$ nslookup
Default Server:  horton.iaces.com
Address:  204.147.87.98

> server 194.198.118.130
Default Server:  nic.webconnect.no
Address:  194.198.118.130

> Is this our problem, or our ISP's ?

Well it doesn't appear to be the ISP. But you say telnet does a
query fine and you get connected.

What's your resolv.conf look like? Make sure there aren't any
trailing spaces on any lines. You'll want it to look something
like:

domain istudio.no
nameserver 194.198.118.130

And by the way, I just did an 'ls istudio.no.' on that server
and then set myself up as a secondary. Both worked fine.

It looks like is was there problem, and they've fixed it.

Paul.
--
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum --
"I think that I think, therefore I think that I am."