Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:38:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@monk.via.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proper CCD interleave ??

On Tuesday,  6 October 1998 at  2:16:06 -0700, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> I'm building a server to perform nightly dumps to tape.
> It's going to be reading large dump files, then streaming them to DLT.
>
> What's a good interleave to use? What about 65536?

Do you mean bytes?  That would be OK.  My experiments have shown that
256 kB is about optimal.  But note that you specify the interleave
factor in ccdconfig in blocks of 512 bytes, so you'd specify these
values as 128 and 512 respectively.

Have you taken a look at vinum?  You should find it better than ccd.
http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.

Greg