Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:34:13 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Alexander Leidinger" <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does everybody switch to dynamic plists?

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:52:02 +0100, Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone please tell me why people enjoy to use dynamic plists, even
> when there was a static plist already?
>
> With a dynamic plist:
>  - We lose the ability to search for files which aren't installed.
>    (useful for users)
>  - We lose the ability to determine if a particular port contains what
>    we search.
>    (useful for users)
>  - We lose the ability to check just with grep if two ports install
>    conflicting files (in case we get a report of a conflict it's very
>    nice to not need to install a port to verify the conflict).
>    (useful for users and port developers)
>  - We lose the ability to use portlint to check the plist (if the
>    maintainer checks the generated one he just can use a static plist).
>    BTW.: Does portlint know how to check the embedded plist (the
>    Makefile variables)?
>    (useful for port developers)
>  - We lose the ability to maybe answer support requests without the need
>    to install the software.
>    (useful for "the frontliners")

This is mofo annoy to me. I depend on plist pretty a lot to search what
file they have and etc, so I can know for conflict, depend on this port
and etc. google doesn't cut to me.

>  + We don't need to take care if the plist changes.
>    (useful for port developers)

   + smaller or no plist is good for modem connection user.

> I count 1 positive and 5 negative aspects.
>
> If the developer of a port puts the dynamic plist generation into a
> Makefile target instead of inlining it into the build/install process,
> he doesn't needs to put alot more effort into the development process
> (just one "make <generate-the-plist-target>") and gets the benefits of
> static plists too.
>
> Maybe I've overlooked something, but so far I haven't seen a dynamic
> plist which needs to be a dynamic one. So I think at least 99% of our
> dynamic plists don't need to be dynamic.

I, one, who is on your side. Two people wasn't happy with me when I
refused to switch from static to dynamic in games/wesnoth. games/wesnoth
is getting near 3k lines. ;-)

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team