Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jeff Hamilton" <gandolf@destiny.erols.com>
To:        "Doug White" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network problems

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:07:37 -0700 (PDT), Doug White wrote:

>> > Verify that no devices are occupying IRQ 5 or 9 that aren't
recognized by
>> > FreeBSD.  Also try shuffling the order of PCI cards on your bus,
and avoid
>> > using the bottom-most slot (closest to the ISA slots).
>>
>> IRQ 5 and 9 were both shown as unused by the system bios before I
>> installed the 2 NIC's.  FreeBSD recognizes all devices in the system,
and
>> there are no conflicts with any of them listed in the dmesg output.
(at
>> least none that I see)
>
>Thats the thing, something may be there (like the onboard soundcard)
that
>FreeBSD doesn't detect.  Try locking out IRQs 5 and 9 in the BIOS setup
>force the PCI resource assigner to something else.

I don't think that there is any way to do this...The bios is very
limited on configuration options such as this.  I can manually assign
IRQ's to devices, but cannot reserve IRQ's.

>> I'll try switching the card order.  Unfortunately, this motherboard
only
>> has 2 PCI slots, with the IDE/Floppy/Video/sound cards built-in.  I
have
>> to use the PCI slot next to the ISA slots (it's actually a shared
PCI/ISA
>> slot).
>
>What CPU does this thing have?

It's a Pentium-120.  The motherboard is a Compaq board, and uses a
Compaq bios.  Could the older motherboard and bios be a part of the
problem?

>> Which card is better to use with FreeBSD, the 3com905B or the Intel
>> EtherExpress Pro?  I may remove 1 of the PCI cards, and put my old
3com509
>> ISA card back in.
>
>The Pro is a *much* better card if you can help it.  The xl driver
isn't
>up to the caliber of the fxp driver.

Well...I removed the 3com xl card, and replaced it with an old ISA
3c509.  I'm still getting the device timeouts on the EtherExpress, but
the the ep driver works well with the 3c509, and since my cable modem is
only 10mbit, there's no performance problem.

Would upgrading to FreeBSD and the newer fxp driver help this, or is
this entirely a hardware issue?

Thanks.

Jeff Hamilton
gandolf@destiny.erols.com