Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 19:20:24 -0500
From:      "William Evanson" <evawil823@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   xdm xlib: No protocol specified

I turned on xdm in the etc/ttys file and when I ran
XDM and tried to login I got this error message in the
error log file.

xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
xlib: No protocol specified.
Error: cannot open display: :0.

I am running XFree86 4.2.  I have GNOME installed from the
ports collection.  I have the .xinitrc and .xsession file set
up in my home directory as specified.  Do I need to include
and .Xauthority file in the directory as well?
I can do a startx and the X server starts up and so does
GNOME.  Any ideas???