Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2019 02:49:10 +0300
From:      Oleg Ginzburg <olevole@olevole.ru>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org, The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>
Subject:   Re: freebsd-virtualization Digest, Vol 449, Issue 1

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:00 PM
<freebsd-virtualization-request@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 00:52:04 -0600
> From: The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>
> To: freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
> Subject: Debian 10, Current Kali and Current Parrot
>
> Looks like Deb 10 uses a new grpahical driver that breaks bhyve.
>
> Same with Kali and PArrot.
>
> I have been able to get around Kali and Deb 10 via predefining the network,
>
> which does not work with Parrot.
>
> Anyone on top of this?
> --

This behavior is related to the Xorg xf86-video-vesa driver, not fb.
Vesa driver expects for a specific device class:

#ifdef XSERVER_LIBPCIACCESS
static const struct pci_id_match vesa_device_match[] = {
    {
        PCI_MATCH_ANY, PCI_MATCH_ANY, PCI_MATCH_ANY, PCI_MATCH_ANY,
        0x00030000, 0x00ffffff, CHIP_VESA_GENERIC
    },

    { 0, 0, 0 },
};
#endif

which provides by bhyve fbuf devices ( but not working as
vesa-compatible device )
As work-around we can change pci_set_cfgdata8(pi, PCIR_CLASS, into
anything other than:

#define PCIC_DISPLAY    0x03

, for example: PCIS_DISPLAY_OTHER

Work-around demo:  https://youtu.be/oZuKo87Tmg0

PS: I do not know the right solution at the moment.