Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:03:55 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Perl 5.003 / 5.6 / CPAN

Yes, I've dealt with this and FreeBSD isn't an exception,
it happens on other operating systems.

you DON'T want to install Perl 5.6 if you can help it.  While
it's going to run all Perl scripts, the big problems are the
user-written modules that are up on CPAN.  Many are broken and
have half-assed attempts to "error check" and make sure that
they are running on the correct version of Perl - they look for
strings like "5.0XX" and such, and when they see 5.6 they
complain that the Perl version is too old, or worse don't run.

The problem I think is that the Perl authors figure that the
CPAN module authors will error check their modules against
every new version of Perl that comes out.  Unfortunately,
my experience is that the majority of CPAN module authors don't
appear to give a damn about this, or they lose interest in
supporting their modules.