Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:13:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> > Ah, but the customer isnt always right......
>
> This attitude is why I bought SDL, not etinc.

---------------------
On "brand loyalty"...
---------------------

This is not a diatribe against SDL... they have every right to
compete in the market in which Dennis competes, and they are
bound to get whateve share of the available business that they
rigorously pursue and therefore deserve.   However...

I'd buy Dennis's stuff, if I didn't live in the armpit of US
telecommunications, and could get service to connect to it for
what it costs for those services in most other regions.

Dennis has spent a significant amount of time supporting FreeBSD,
and, truth be told, he's the one who developed and tested the
market which SDL is now exploiting.

I'd buy a card from Dennis for the same reason I'd buy a CDROM
from Walnut Creek, instead of some other company with a cheaper
(equivalenetly functional) knock-off: to reward those companies
willing to venture into a technology market which I would like
to see developed.

As for "the customer is always right", in general, you should
treat the customer as being right to maintain an ongoing
business, so long as the customers wants do not interfere with
their needs.

I have lost a lot of consulting revenue on numerous occasions
by telling people to keep a box of 3x5 cards next to their
telephone.  If I had stayed with "the customer is always right",
I would have made money, but they would have a useless complex
system for classifying "no-pays" who call in, the associated
training costs to run the computer version of the 3x5 card file,
the loss of service when the computer/power failed, etc., etc..

In the long run, I win, because I have a reputation for honesty
and for meeting the customers needs (and their wants, if they
don't conflict).  And I get more business than I would have
gotten without the resulting active, positive word-of-mouth.

Dennis may grate on you, but he's in the same long-boat you are,
and when it needed bailing, he was there, bailing with you, and
now that the sea has calmed, everyone and their uncle is out here
in their Zodiac's.  I'll stay in the long-boat, thanks.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---