Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 1996 01:14:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        ptroot@uswest.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: handbook

>         I'm trying to get the handbook printed out. When I run it
> through latex, I get a couple of errors (with a ?) prompt. And when I
> view the dvi file (or converted ps file) the table of contents is
> blank and any references to other sections is just ??.

The handbook's LaTeX generated source is written for LaTeX 2e.  LaTeX 2e
is the newer version that brings together many patches and enhancements
for LaTeX.  However, many, many shops installed LaTeX years ago and
haven't upgraded it.  (since it can be such a bear to get a new version
up and running who can blame them?)

So, yes, often you will have trouble processing the LaTeX output.  I am
also assuming you are either taking the SGML source and running it
sgmlfmt to generate the LaTeX files (and have
/usr/share/sgml/FreeBSD/lib/linuxdoc.sty installed).  Or, you are taking
the LaTeX source from ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/docs

>         Am I doing anything wrong, or is it just that the handbook
> is incomplete?

Neither, see above.

>         I'm doing it on my Sparc at work, running Solaris 2.5. No, I'm
> not convinced that latex is correctly installed on the Sparc. Is it
> worth my while to pkg_add tex on my FreeBSD machine to create the doc?

YES, either that or get the PostScript file from someone.

(Gee, wouldn't it be nice (how many times have I said this to the Docs
people?) if the PostScript version of the handbook were also at
ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/docs ?)

-- David   (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)