Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:08:45 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux hardware

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 09:44:28AM -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I am also seeing BTX failures, but only from manual commands. The lsdev
> command will cause BTX to fail (and halt) when it scans my CDROM/DVD.  I am
> using 4.1.1-RELEASE.  I have a ABIT KA7-100 board (which uses the VIA686A
> chipset for IDE access).

I recognize my exact problem. I have a Abit KT7 with a dvdrom, and lsdev
crashes the loader. I had not related this to the DVD however. In any case
FreeBSD is loded perfectly fine from the DVD as well as the hard disk.
Only lsdev crashes the loader.

By the way, i always have this annoying problem that the same machine is
unable to format floppies under freebsd, while it formats them fine under
Linux and Windows. I have been told that other have the same problem on
various machines, while one guy with the same mobo said me he does not have
it. Also i have seen comments in the CVS tree at ata.c about the ata driver
stealing an ioport of the floppy drive. Does somebody know the present status
of the question, and if it is valuable to upgrade (i run 4.1, it is at home
so upgrades are painful)?

--
Michel Talon