Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:00:15 -0800
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM question.

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> William Richard <wdr@tdl.com> writes:

> > Marc Wandschneider wrote:

> I'd recommend using login.conf for this instead.  If anyone ever logs
> in *other* than through X, you probably want them to get the same
> environment inside a shell that they would by starting a shell in an
> xterm under X.

This isn't a conclusive test, but I created a /var/run/nologin, and my
test showed that xdm(1) is no respecter of /var/run/nologin, and I would
think that it's no respecter of /etc/login.conf.

The expression login.conf never appears in the xdm(1) manpage.  Have you
made xdm(1) read login.conf(5)?  How so?

Cheers,
William Richard
wdr@tdl.com