Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 1996 21:12:15 -0400
From:      Richard Hwang <rhwang@bigpanda.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        torstenb@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   tiff 3.4 port (was: port of hylafax 4.0?)

> Do you know when or how it [tiff-3.4] will be commited ?  (as an
> upgrade or new port ?)

I really don't know -- this was my first port.  All I know is that I
submitted the port as per the guidelines in the FreeBSD handbook.

> I believe some other ports depend on the earlier libtiff ? so I
> guess a seperate libtiff3.4 port may be necessary, so as not to
> disrupt other ports ?
> Torsten I guess knows more ?
> Feel free to copy this tiff part over to ports@ if you think it'll help.

It looks like hylafax3, xpaint-2.1.1 and netpbm-94.3.1 depend on
tiff-3.3 (to name a few).  So it looks like a separate libtiff3.4
would be necessary.

Also, I found a little mistake I made with the port which basically
renders the tools useless.  I have fixed the port, changed the
directory name from tiff to tiff34, uploaded it to
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/tiff34.tar.gz, and used
send-pr (just like it says to do in the handbook).  I also sent a copy
of the diff which adds DSO (shared library) support for FreeBSD to Sam
Leffler; hopefully we'll have DSO support for FreeBSD built into the
next release of libtiff.

I just hope I did everything right!

-Rich