Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:39:44 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: DEVFS and GEOM mandatorification timeline.

In message <20030128073115.GA1507@edgemaster.zombie.org>, Sean Kelly writes:

>I apologize for the tone in part of my previous message, but I"m a bit
>grump after not being able to properly boot for over a month now. I've not
>been able to rectify this with or without GEOM. However, without GEOM the
>situation was different.

I would be grumpy too then.

>I'm not sure how much you want, so I'll start with 512 bytes. The other
>obvious amount is the whole 8k of boot, and that seems a bit long.
>
>edgemaster# cd /boot
>edgemaster# dd if=3D/dev/ad1s1 bs=3D512 count=3D1 >myboot
>edgemaster# cmp myboot boot1
>myboot boot1 differ: char 447, line 6

This difference is OK in principle, the embedded MBR starts at 446
and extends for 64 bytes and as far as i can see the rest of boot1 is
in good shape.  The MBR area seems to be filled with junk though.

Provided that ad1s1 does not start at the physically first sector
of the disk, this should be OK.

Can you mail me

	dd if=/dev/ad1 bs=64k count=10 | uuencode sean.ad1

And I'll to figure out what's wrong.