Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:34:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BETA problems

At the beginning of this weekend, I started installing the 0928 beta.
Due to phone line quality issues out here, it took two days, and ended
with me installing the necessary stuff plus the (then released) 1002
source, and then doing a make world.  (One suggestion: If an install
fails due to a network failure, restart at the block instead of at the
distribution.)

During the install, I noticed that the CAM drivers don't appear in
user_config.  I know this was discussed elsewhere, but my $0.02 says
get it in before release if possible.

The only actual problem this caused was that I couldn't disable the
drivers, in particular bt0, which led to this later:

  bt0: Invalid Command 0x8d
  bt0: btreset - Diagnostic Active failed to assert. status = 0x30
  bt0: Failed Status Reg Test - ff
  bt0: Failed Status Reg Test - ff
  bt0: Failed Status Reg Test - ff
  bt0: Failed Status Reg Test - ff
  bt0: Failed Status Reg Test - ff
  bt0 not found
  aha0: Invalid Command 0x8d
  aha0: ahareset - Diagnostic Active failed to assert. status = 0x30
  aha0 at 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 on isa
  aha0: AHA-1542C FW Rev. 0.1 (ID=44)SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, 17 CCBs

aha0 still worked fine after that.

In the release notes, we say that the 3C509 is supported.  Preliminary
tests indicate that the ep0 driver in the 10/02 beta is in less of a
functioning state than ever.  (Does anybody know how to get the
blasted 3C509 programmers' specs?)

In GENERIC, we don't have enough buffer space to handle a -v boot.  We
may want to do something about that.

While I'm at it, our default kernel buffer space of 8k is not enough
to handle a -v boot on my machine.  I've upped my limit, but is this
what we want as the default behaviour?

At one point in the install, I had booted to single-mode (I had
retrieved bin and so forth, I was now after src).  I had run ppp by
hand (ppp -auto -alias camalott).  I had, for some reason that I don't
recall anymore I had hit "Cancel" for the sysinstall site selector
(the menu one, not the manual entry one) and sysinstall dumped core.

After finishing the install and rebooting (but not yet making world to
get the 10/02 beta), while in single-user, I discovered a problem with
the mouse.  After marking text for copy, when I pressed the middle
button, I got several identical messages that I forgot to write down.
I'm going to try to tickle the bug again.  (I was in single-user and
had run /etc/rc, if that's significant.)

Now, after making world, compiling a new kernel, and rebooting, I get
a string of SCSI probe messages during boot:

  (probe2:aha0:0:2:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
  (probe2:aha0:0:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
  (probe2:aha0:0:2:0): Invalid field in CDB
  (probe3:aha0:0:3:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
  (probe3:aha0:0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
  (probe3:aha0:0:3:0): Invalid field in CDB
  (probe4:aha0:0:4:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
  (probe4:aha0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST
  (probe5:aha0:0:5:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
  (probe5:aha0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
  (probe5:aha0:0:5:0): Invalid field in CDB field replaceable unit: 14
  (probe6:aha0:0:6:0): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
  (probe6:aha0:0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
  (probe6:aha0:0:6:0): Invalid field in CDB sks:c0,1

These messages were also present when booting with GENERIC, except for
id 4 (a tape drive), and the orders of ids 5 and 6 were switched.

If anybody can address any of these issues, please let me know.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan