Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2016 11:40:11 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAST, zfs and local mirroring

> You message lead me to a though that I could use iSCSI to replicate the
> zfs pool from node1 to both iSCSI-provided disk on a node2 in a 4-way
> mirror, right ? Are there any obvious obstacles to this, that I don't
> see, considering the bandwith will be enough ?

I have spent a long time doing this kind of thing - always needing
a pair of machines, 2 discs in each and 4-way mirroring. over the last
decade weve used ggated/ggatec + gmirrors, iscsi + gmirror, iscsi + zfs and
finally hast + zfs.

Out of all that I have to say that hnast has been a godsend - its is by far
the best of all the solutions. so my recommentation would be to
hast the drives into two hast resources and zpool on top of that. yes, you
have two hast devices, but why is that an issue ? what we also do is
to add separate ether cards into the machines just dedicated to the hast
traffic between them, so that is not a bottlneck.

the reason hwy hast is so good compared to all the other network
block evel solutions we have tried is that it behaves ell in the case
when things fail. Theres nothing wrong with either ggatec or iscsi
in the normal case, but in the past I had a lot of issues with the mirroring
layer not understanding properly when the unerlying devices vanish
due to crashes or other unexpected events. As the purpose of all of this is,
preseumably, fault tolerance, then thats unfortunate. this may have chnaged,
I havent tried these technologies out in a while, but with hast you
dont ever see a device simply vanish rom underneath your zpool, and the
whole thing continues to work reliably and smoothly until the remote node comes
back up, whereupon it resyncs perfectly.

really, go with hast + zpool unless you have a good reason not to...

-pete.