Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 13:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

Okay people, it's been some time since I put the xl0 driver in -current
and -stable. I need to know if people are having problems with the driver
or not. So far I've gotten startlingly little feedback. This either means
that it's working so well that nobody has had any trouble with it, or
you guys are all just slackers and are too lazy to speak up.

Basically I'm looking for as many success or failure reports as possible.
If you're having trouble with the driver and you don't tell me about it,
I can't help you, so speak up. If you're not having trouble and it's
working well, I'd like to know that too.

Here are some things I'd like to know:

- What kind of adapter you have. Note that a 3c905-TX is NOT THE SAME
  as a 3c905B-TX. (See the 'B'? It makes a difference.) Double and triple
  check the model. Don't tell me you have a 3c905B when you actually only
  have a 3c905. If you want to be really nice, do 'dmesg | grep xl' and
  show me the output.
- The driver version you're using. If you obtained the driver by
  cvsup'ing -current or -stable, then you have the latest one. If you
  downloaded the driver from www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/3Com within the
  last week, then you also have the latest one. If you're not sure,
  show me the rcsid strings from if_xl.c and if_xlreg.h.
- Does the driver detect all of the adapter's media types correctly?
- Is the system stable? Have you had problems with kernel panics since
  you started using the driver? Is mbuf usage normal or does it look
  like there's an mbuf leak? (use netstat -m to monitor mbuf usage)
- Type of system (CPU type/speed). Are you using a slower system like
  a 486 or older Pentium (P75, P90, P1xx, etc...)? If so, are there
  problems with performance? Are you using SCSI disks or IDE disks?
- Type of network to which the adapter is attached. Are you using a
  hub? A switch? Crossover cable to another machine? Coax? AUI? If a hub,
  are there lots of hosts on the same segment?
- How many adapters in the system.
- How heavily loaded is the system. Is this just a personal machine
  with occasional network traffic or is it a heavily used server?
  (http, FTP, NFS, login shell box, etc...) Is it a router?
- Observed performance. Does the adapter/driver work well under load?
  Does the adapter lock up or otherwise misbehave under high-load
  conditions? Are there lots of input or output errors? (use netstat -in
  to check) Do you ever have to ifconfig down and ifconfig up the adapter
  to reset it?
- 'Out of buffers' problems. Does the 'OACTIVE' flag ever show up when
  you do 'ifconfig xl0'?
- Unusual error messages. Are there any diagnostics generated by the
  driver that don't look normal? (timeouts, transmission errors, etc...)
- Multicast operation. Is the adapter receiving all the multicast
  frames that it should? (Note that the 3c905B adapters have a hash
  filter whereas the 3c900 and 3c905 adapters have only a 'receive all
  multicast frames' mode, so reports about the 3c905B are more useful.)
- Unusual configurations. Are you using firewalling? Network address
  translation? Proxy ARP? IP aliases? Shitloads of IP aliases? Do you
  have Lose95/98/NT installed on your machine along with FreeBSD?
  Do you have problems warm booting from Lose95/98/NT to FreeBSD?
  (Adapter not probed, adapter not reset correctly after warm boot...)
- Benchmarks. Have you compared the xl driver's performance against
  any others? What were the numbers? What benchmarks did you use?
  Was performace good? Bad? Ugly?

Here are some things I don't want to hear:

- "I saw some error but I forgot it, and I didn't write it down. Does
   this help?"
- "I saw somewhere you were interested in information about 3c905
   performance with FreeBSD. What exactly do you need to know?"
- "I can give you the information you want, but I wanted to send you a
   short note first just to see if you were really interested."
- "You can use Internet Explorer to find out more information about
   3Com products by going to www.3Com.com..."
- "Well, I'm having some trouble, but I don't have time to give you
   the details as I'm just about to leave for the airport and fly to
   some remote part of deepest, darkest Africa to start a tour with the
   Red Cross, and I won't be able to use my computer again for about
   three years. But I can try to give you more information when I get
   back. Is that okay?"
- "It works just fine with Windows!"
- "It works just fine with Linux!"
- "I can't help you with this 3Com thing, but do you have a driver for
   the Gronkulator 2000 board? I've got, like, 20 of them and they only
   cost, like, $5 each."
- "D00d, got any war3z?"
- "Are you being investigated?"
- "How do I get FreeBSD? I have Windows 98 and the Internet; will it
   work with that?"

So speak up everyone. Send your cards and letters to
wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu. Operators are standing by.

-Bill