Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:52:09 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <elh@outreachnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: random crashes on 4.4-S - ASUS CUSL2-M mobo

At a certain time, now past, mikea spake thusly:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:52:24PM -0500, Eric L. Howard wrote:
> > I'm experiencing totally random crashes on a rackmount box.  It's a PIII 750
> > on an ASUS CUSL2-M - onboard 3c920.
> >
> > The crashes are complete random and usually follow processes that die w/
> > SIGSEGV (a couple of SIGABRT thrown in for good measure have been found
> > also).
> >
> > Syslog gives me info such as... (lines are wrapped)
> >
> > Jan 16 01:03:28 www /kernel: pid 692 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
> > Jan 17 15:09:35 www /kernel: pid 290 (cpp0), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > --------8<--snip--------
> > I've swapped memory at least twice - each time yielding no success.  Not
> > sure about how to get anywhere debugging core files - pointers appreciated.
> >
> > Any and all ideas will be appreciated and checked.  Thanx.
> >
> > 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Fri Nov 23 23:41:12 EST 2001
>
> Temperature? Can you run a temperature/fan-rpm/whatnot monitor,
> such as healthd?

Yes...if only I could compile...

[root@www etc]# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/healthd/
[root@www healthd]# make all
>> healthd-0.6.5.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://healthd.thehousleys.net/.
Receiving healthd-0.6.5.tar.gz (64789 bytes): 100%
--------8<--snip--------
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating config.h
*** Signal 11

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/healthd.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/healthd.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/healthd.
[root@www healthd]# ls
Makefile        pkg-comment     pkg-plist       work
distinfo        pkg-descr       touch.core

> Totally random w.r.t. system load, or just totally random w.r.t.
> clock time? Or something else?

Completely random period...there was zero load on the machine when I tried
to compile the above - the room and cabinet the server sits in are temp
controlled...and <sigh> the box soon died after the above attempt.

I've moved everything off the server so I've got a little playing room/time.

I did catch this just before the box died earlier:

vm_page_remove: page not found in hash

       ~elh

--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m