Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:34:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neil Short <neshort@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD date drifts significantly

--- Eric <heli@mikestammer.com> wrote:

> Neil Short wrote:
> > my FreeBSD date drifts out of sync with the system
> > date.
> >
> > When I set it, it is absolutely correct and
> matches
> > the system (CMOS) date. I then reboot and -
> shezam!
> > it's jumped 12 hours forward. Reboot again -
> another
> > 12 hour jump ... until the FreeBSD date is about 2
> and
> > a half days beyond today's date - and the CMOS
> date.
> >
> > When I set up the system I said that the system
> clock
> > is NOT set to UTC - but just to be sure, I went
> back
> > into sysinstall and re-set the time zone the same
> way
> > (MST - Arizona).
> >
> > I suspect this has something to do with maybe the
> > server that is synchronizing my time; but I don't
> > recall how to synchronize my time with an
> up-stream
> > server. Can't find documentation on it either.
> >
> > Any pointers?
> >

> man ntpd
>
> has your answers. my /etc/ntp.conf looks like:
>
> server us.pool.ntp.org
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> driftfile /var/db/ntp.drift
>
> things stay synced up tight on my machine

This is very helpful information. I have been wanting
to synchronize my date.

It didn't really stop the problem; but I ran a bunch
of test and have narrowed it down to the following -
although I cannot dependably reproduce it.

It has something to do with rebooting from windows (a
dual-boot system) straight into FreeBSD (using my boot
manager of choice: GAG.)

It seems that if I boot into windows, log in and enter
the windows time/date tool -- make no changes and
reboot into FreeBSD, the FreeBSD date will lurch
forward 10 to 12 hours. The CMOS date is still right.
It's a puzzle; but since Windows seems to be required
to duplicate this weirdness I'm not going to worry
about it -- at least until I can duplicate it without
winD'OH!s.

Thanks for the input, guys.

-N

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37