Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:35:04 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IDT WinChip?

On 1999-10-29 13:20 +0200, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de> wrote:
> Is anybody successfully running an IDT WinChip in an old Pentium board?
>
> Configuration:
> CPU:   IDT "WinChip" W2A-233
> Board: Asus P55TP4N, BIOS rev. 0302 (latest)
> OS:    FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT (Oct 26), "cpu I586_CPU"
>
> Problem:
> The system crashes very quickly on its way to multi-user or soon
> thereafter. "Page fault while in kernel mode". Crashes seem to
> relate to disk activity, and occur typically in file system related
> calls such as open(). No overheating. The same system is solid with
> a Intel Pentium-100 CPU.

Yes, I have some 10 old systems (original IBM which came with P5/75s)
and they run just fine with W2/240s for one year already.

The voltage regulator on your ASUS board should be able to supply
the current needed by the W2A, so that shouldn't be the problem ...

FreeBSD definitely runs well on Winchip CPUs. I have used my boxes
to saturate large ATM backbone switches during load tests ;-)

Gruß, STefan