Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:20:54 +0200
From:      Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>
To:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bin/17619: pax cannot read all tar files created by tar.

> Bah. So what should be done in this case (assuming something needs
> to be done?). I can patch pax to accept one-block archives and
> yet produce correct archives - maybe that's the way to go? Given that
> the GNU tar maintainer had more than 8 years to think about it, he's
> obviously emotionally attached to one-trailing-block files and won't
> let them go ;)

That seems like a good idea to me.

> I admit I didn't even know pax(1) existed until I saw the PR and
> was sufficiently intrigued to look at it ;)

Well, I usually use the -rw option which does not need a pipe to copy
directory-trees. Furthermore it uses a more sensible exit-code system
than GNU-tar.

> By the way, Marc, Solaris's tar (SunOS 5.6) does handle correctly your
> example (creates a tarfile with two trailing blocks), so if you have
> anything specific from Solaris's tar that breaks pax, do tell.

Hmm, I must 've tried the wrong file, since I cannot reproduce it. So it
seems to work fine... Sorry for the fuss.

Marc