Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:24:40 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.2 with pre-built KDE 3.5 package from FreeBSD 7.1 DVD

On Friday 18 January 2013 16:58:11 RW wrote:
> You can carry on using 3.5 on any current release. The problem is when
> it's eventually removed from ports, updating  other ports may result in
> dependency problems.

I'm already starting to experience some problems which I assume are due to
incompatibility with some recently upgraded dependencies and I've finally, and
somewhat reluctantly, switched to KDE 4.8. It's certainly more bloated than
3.5 but after getting rid of some unwanted eye candy it's not as bad as I
expected, certainly better than last time I tried it out about a year ago. The
most noticeable deterioration in performance is that it's much slower to start
up than 3.5 was and kmail takes much longer to open a mail "folder" than it
used to.

--
Mike Clarke