Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 04:39:29 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        scottl@FreeBSD.org, smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: P5 vs. SMP, part 2

Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:50:35PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Chris Faulhaber wrote:
> > > I finally got around to narrowing down the commit (see
> > > below) that slowed by dual P5 box.  From my original
> > > message to -smp:
> >=20
> > !!!!.
> >=20
> > I just reread the diff and I dont see anything obviously wrong.  Do you j=
> ust
> > see this in P5 machines?  (ie: do you have a P6 smp box as well?)
> >=20
>
> I have been in contact with a few other people that are also
> having problems with their P5's.  Gunnar Pruessner reported
> a similiar problem at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D5782+15738+/usr/local/www/db/=
> text/2001/freebsd-smp/20011007.freebsd-smp
>
> We have not had any problems on the dual and quad PIII's at
> work and I have not seen anyone using P6's report anything
> similiar.

After some extended trauma (blew up a hard drive), I got my box working.
Wow! the slowdown is spectacular.  It is running 4.4-RELEASE right now
and it is immediately obvious just while booting that it is broken.

After it's up, running top takes between 4 and 8 seconds to start up.
It's nearly instant in UP mode.  If I ktrace it, top takes 26 seconds to
start up.  Most of the time seems to be spent doing lseek/read of either
/dev/mem or /dev/kmem.

I'm going to go through this in detail tomorrow after some sleep.  At 4:30am
I can't think straight. :-]

Cheers,
-Peter