Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:04:24 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Migrating vinum plexes to a new volume

--phCU5ROyZO6kBE05

On Monday, 17 March 2003 at 15:00:55 -0600, Tillman wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I want to migrate some existing plexes to a different volume than the one=
 that
> they are currently a member of. Here's the existing configuration:
>
> V iso           State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       4096 MB
> V iso2          State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1500 MB
>
> P iso.p0      C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
> P iso.p1      C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
> P iso2.p0     C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1500 MB
> P iso2.p1     C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1500 MB
>
> S iso.p0.s0     State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4096 MB
> S iso.p1.s0     State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       4096 MB
> S iso2.p0.s0    State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
> S iso2.p1.s0    State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1500 MB
>
> D yin           State: up       Device /dev/ad0s1e      Avail: 0/38172 MB=
 (0%)
> D yang          State: up       Device /dev/ad2s1e      Avail: 0/38172 MB=
 (0%)

> I don't want to have seperate iso and iso2 volumes anymore, I'd like to m=
erge
> their plexes into a single volume called iso.
>
> Here's my plan to go about doing this:
>
> * enter vinum interface
> * detach -f iso2.p0
> * detach -f iso2.p1
> * rm -f iso
> * attach iso2.p0 iso
> * attach iso2.p1 iso

This will give iso four plexes, two up, two down.  The size will
remain 4GB, and the other two plexes will only cover a part of the
address space.

> * use growfs on the changed volume

This won't do anything.

> Do I have the logic correct?=20

What you want to do is to remove the plexes iso2.p[01], and attach
their subdisks to iso.p[01].  That will increase the size of those
plexes to 5.5GB.  Then run growfs.

> Are there any potential pitfalls involving dataloss?

You'll lose all data on iso2.

> I suspect that I'm missing a step to alert vinum that the new plexes
> extend the mirror - and I'm not sure that it can be done without
> destroying both the iso and the iso2 volume and recreating the
> mirror from scratch (thus, dataloss).

If you attach subdisks to the existing plexes, you won't lose the data
in iso.  There's no way to merge file systems just by gluing them
together.

Greg

--phCU5ROyZO6kBE05

--phCU5ROyZO6kBE05--