Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2016 19:02:55 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Charles Cowart <unique.identifier@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia_load not working

--tvOENZuN7d6HfOWU

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 06:58:38PM -0700, Charles Cowart wrote:
> I did a clean install of RC3 over RC2, and I noticed that nvidia_load=3D"=
yes"
> no longer appears to work in /boot/loader.conf. I can still load the modu=
le
> from etc/rc.conf

As the nvidia kernel module is part of a port/package, I suspect that
this is more of a "ports" issue than a "stable" issue; in particular, if
the version of the nvidia-driver you're using is sufficiently recent,
you may find a recent ports/UPDATING entry relevant:

20160829:
  AFFECTS: users of x11/nvidia-driver
  AUTHOR: cem@FreeBSD.org

  The NVidia driver has been updated to version 367.35.  Starting with
  version 358.09, new kernel module was added, nvidia-modeset.ko.  This
  new driver component works in conjunction with the nvidia.ko kernel
  module to program the display engine of the GPU.

  Users that experience hangs when starting X11 server, or observe

        (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
        (II) NVIDIA(0):     "NULL"

  messages in their /var/log/Xorg.0.log file should replace ``nvidia''
  with ``nvidia-modeset'' in /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf files,
  depending on how they prefer to load NVidia driver kernel module.

Peace,
david
--=20
Those who would murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous coward=
s.

--tvOENZuN7d6HfOWU

--tvOENZuN7d6HfOWU--