Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:43:30 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Mark Brown <simm_s_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uiomove performance?

* Mark Brown <simm_s_list@hotmail.com> [011213 17:35] wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a significant performance gain to maintaining
> scatter/gather lists with uio rather than writing the s/g routine yourself.
>
> To be more specific:
> I currently have a routine that takes a memory segments and places them in a
> contiguous memory buffer. We need to optimize the routine for better CPU
> utilization. We currently get the memory list and organize it using memcopy.
> I would like to use uiomove but it is hard to justify the time needed to
> convert the current routine to uiomove if there is only a insignificant
> performance gain. Keep in mind this routine is being called frequently.
>
> I would like to justify to my boss that using uiomove would have significant
> performance benefits over our current routine that uses memcopy.

Uh.......

If you have a routine using memcpy then you're effectively making the
UIO as you go, making the additional copy is just stupid.

It should be trivial to convert the routine and I strongly suggest
doing so.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3