Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:36:44 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        "John Chris Wren" <jcwren@jcwren.com>, "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "James Buchanan" <gnudev@ozemail.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Software on FreeBSD (Has FBSD4.4 grown up yet)

At 20:14 11.11.2001 -0800, Chip wrote:
>This thread comes up quite often, and somewhere along the line someone has to
>bring mom into the picture. Well, mom ain't gonna run FBSD or Linux, she's
>gonna be happy with win95, if she uses a computer at all. It doesn't need to
>be that easy, it's not meant to be used by mom, that's not the purpose or aim
>of these OS's.
>I just think you're making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. It's
>just not as difficult as you make it out to be, and I hope you don't scare
>the original poster away with your negative attitude on FreeBSD. Anyone with
>the least bit of technical awareness can install and set up a FBSD box
>without many problems, if any at all. I've seen it done before by complete
>newbies. It's just not that difficult.
>
>--
>Chip

I have to agree with Chip here.  In fact, I found that the negative
attitude toward FreeBSD here was probably just that he had a most difficult
time with FreeBSD himself.  He probably considers himself technically
savvy, and therefore feels that everybody else in the world will have as
difficult a time as he did.  Well, that is unfortunate.  Let me give my
opinion of FreeBSD.

Yes, while the installation was somewhat more involved than a RedHat
installation, I was able to install FreeBSD in a couple of hours.  Why so
much time?  Well, two snags...er, well, only one of these was a snag.  I
was familiar with how Linux installed and therefore, a filesytem in Linux
to me was the same as a file system in FreeBSD.  And while they have
similarities, they work quite differently between the two operating
systems.  So, where in Linux I would create 6 or 7 filesystems with fdisk,
in FreeBSD, I would create one large filesystem and then disklabel that
into seperate filesystems.  That was the snag, the part that took the
longest was the actual package installation.  Shoot, TONS of software!
=P  I love that.  What I loved (love) more is that it is 100%
customizable.  That took time at first, but now, its very easy.  It's been
about 4 years since my first FBSD installation (2.2.7, 2.2.8) and it is my
preferred unix OS for now.  I hear OpenBSD is good too.  I love Linux
too.  In fact, I consider myself Unix agnostic.  If it is Unix, I like
it.  Once you get the basics down of any OS, its easy.

It's like this.  If you have determination and you don't give up, and you
like to explore, don't be afraid of any Unix or Unix based OS.  You'll get
through it just fine.

If you put two computer knowledge lacking people in front of two computers,
one running some windows OS and the other running some Unix OS.  I
guarantee the users will both equally be able to learn the operating
systems.  I bet the user using Unix will be more satisfied.

- Jim

- Jim

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=67861&lastnode_id=67861