Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 10:30:20 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newgrp(1)

In his e-mail Daniel Eischen wrote:

> We use the newgrp command on our HP systems for various projects with
> multiple developers.  Each project usually usually has at least one
> group associated with it.  By using newgrp before we start any processes
> that can create files, we're assured that the files have the correct
> permissions (group).  GUI-based systems, like Interleaf, Atria ClearCase,
> compilers, etc, can then be used to create files with the correct group.
> This is really important when you're not granted root permissions on
> the systems; you can't hunt around and manually set the group on all
> files in the project directory because you don't own them.
>
> Unless there's another way of doing this in FreeBSD, I'd like to see
> the newgrp command brought in.  My $.02.

As already mentioned, in BSD created files inherit the group membership
of the parent directory.  Therefore, in order to make a directory
subtree accessible to a single group of people, all you need to do is
chgrp the root of the subtree when you start to build the subtree.

/Marino

BTW, we also use newgrp on our HP's, and it's a major pain.  Namely,
normally one has one subtree accessible to group A, the other to group
B.  Now, the poor guy who's in both will half of the time create files
with the wrong group membership.