Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:17:54 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How are future Python ports going to be handled?

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Gellekum on 2000-09-07 (Thu) at 13:45:08 +0200:

> Thanks for asking, I was going to write this mail anyway. :-)

Thanks for replying.  :-)  A number of the Python-based or -related projects
that I'm involved in are in a bit of a tizz at the moment, not knowing
exactly where to go.  Two versions one can handle, but *three*?

> There will be:
>
> lang/python15    (repo-copy already done)
> lang/python      (1.6 for now, 2.0 when it's out)
> lang/python-beta (2.0b1 for now, will be killed again later)

Sounds sensible - thanks for clarifying.  However, also note the message from
Andrew Kuchling to c.l.py which states that 1.6 is just a "contractual
obligations Python" and further says:

 "So, should you take much interest in Python 1.6?  Probably not.  The
  1.6final and 2.0beta1 releases were made on the same day (September 5,
  2000), the plan being to finalize Python 2.0 within a month or so.  If you
  have applications to maintain, there seems little point in breaking things
  by moving to 1.6, fixing them, and then having another round of breakage
  within a month by moving to 2.0; you're better off just going straight to
  2.0."

The whole thing is here:
  http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2000-September/116429.html

> I will modify all the ports that install extensions into
> .../python1.5/site-packages to check for python1.5:lang/python15 as to
> not break package building. These upgrades will happen tomorrow (I
> have the changes ready, just wait another day).

I was about to submit a PR to update py-biopython, but maybe I'll hold off
until the changes have propagated.  BTW, I see there's also a new distutils
(0.9.2) and I've heard rumours of that causing more breakage.  Oh well,
things are about to get interesting...

> I also wrote a bsd.python.mk which should handle the case of
> installing an extension for an older version of python, i.e. you
> should be able to say `cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/py-tkinter; make
> PYTHON_VERSION=python1.5' and have it build and install the stuff into
> /usr/local/lib/python1.5 instead of, say, /usr/local/lib/python2.0.
> This can also be used to build things like zope or mailman which might
> expect an older python version.

Interesting, thanks.  I know the current Zope breaks under 1.6b1 - haven't
tested it on 1.6 final yet.

-- Johann