Date:      03 May 1999 15:01:55 +0200
From:      Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, grog@lemis.com, ks@hirvi.net, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 3.1 on a Multia box

On Mon, 3 May 1999 13:52:33 +0100 (BST), Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> said:
>> I don't now about official specs, but in Linux/Alpha the 'isomarkboot'
>> program contained in the 'aboot' package allows it to make SRM
>> bootable CDs. It allows to mark any file in an existing ISO9660 image as
>> the program to boot. In Linux this is usually used to load the 'aboot'
>> loader from CD. I believe there's nothing Linux specific to it.
>>
>> Beware, the program isn't 32 bit clean, i.e. it assumes sizeof(long)=8.

> It sounds pretty easy to do but like I said, I don't have a CD writer. If
> one should unexpectedly appear on my doorstep, I could make it work I
> expect.

You won't need a CD writer for testing, a spare SCSI disk with about
700MB capacity or more would be just fine. It doesn't matter to SRM
whether the image is on a CD or on a hard disk...

Martin
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost+sig0@comnets.rwth-aachen.de
Communication Networks          | http://www.comnets.rwth-aachen.de/~ost