Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:59:43 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        yankee@az.com
Cc:        gdonl@tsc.tdk.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: attack arbitration server

> At some point in the chain of routers during a reverse route trace back,
> the key router that was originally spoofed would figure out where the
> packet REALLY came from and realize it was different than the originally
> documented source address in its history/route table. Sort of like, Hey -
> I don't have a destination to you and I'm getting complaints about you

This exists in Cisco IOS 12.0, and also 11.1CC. It's a per-interface
setting called "ip verify unicast reverse-path", and will indeed check
the source address against the routing tables. A couple of caveats:

- Not really all that usable for core routers, since it doesn't work
reliably for asymmetric routing paths. You need to do this at the edge
routers. It's still much better than having to make an access list per
interface, though.

- Requires you to run CEF.