Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 14:15:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: savcore dump names?

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:02:29PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > So what happened to the request that savecore(8) go back to using
> > sensible, intuitive names instead of brain-damaged ones?
>
> The committer that took that feature away isn't interested in seeing
> things through to the end.
>
> Another reason we need an owner of each thing in the tree.

So that if they get hit by a bus, we're screwed for all time?

So that if anyone wants to make a change, and there's no way
the owner can pee on it to make it smell like them, the change
doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it in?

It's a really *bad* idea to have things set up so that people
are so emotionally invested in their code -- or the status quo --
that they can't see anything else.

Not to harp on you in particular, but your statement about
"isn't interested in seeing things through" is really
emotionally charged, and is exactly the wrong sort of thing.

The ideal gatekeeper for any code is someone who doesn't even
use the code, or is a user, not a coder, for it.  Then you
will get decisions based on logic rather than emotion.

I think the obvious thing to do is to wait a while for the
code to be completed, and then time out and back out the
changes, and let them be committed again later, only when they
are complete (the original committer having proven that they
aren't interested in completing the project in a timely fashion,
and the project proving that it's unwilling to tolerate sustained
brokeneness).

-- Terry