Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:05:09 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop troubles...

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>> The -v is just to get more info from right before the hang.  Try doing
>> things like sysctl -a, kldload linux, or whatever to see if you can
>> isolate what's triggering this.
>>

> Woohoo...  It's /etc/rc.d/devd:
> # ./cron start
> Starting cron.
> # ./devd start
> Starting devd.
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1 -> C3
> hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state: 8 -> 8
>
> And then, immediately, the lockup.  Want me to try adding the
> BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER option in the kernel and see if I can get a backtrace?

Ok, this is helpful.  That's actually /etc/rc.d/power_profile switching
based on input from devd as to the AC line state.  Try manually running
the sysctls:

sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C3
sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state=8

...waiting after each one for a minute to see if there's a hang.
Getting a backtrace would help, yes.

--
Nate