Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:06:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /current, CONFIG, no keyboard

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I ran cvsup on -current mainly because I wanted to test
> the nvidia GeForce2 driver on my Dell Inspiron.
>
> After getting through the CONFIG file syntax and options woes
> I finally got a new kernel compiled but I cannot do
> any input at the keyboard.
>
> This happened after I removed /boot/device.hints which I read about
> in /usr/src/UPGRADING that devices were otherwise enumerated doubly
> during autoconfigure at boot.
> At least I was observing this and my boot got hung at
> sio1 probing in the first place. Then I removed
> device.hints - I had hints "GENERIC.hints" in my kernel CONFIG
> anyway.

This should be on -current mailing list, not -mobile.

You must have one of:

1) a /boot/device.hints file
or
2) A hints file compiled into your kernel

It is HIGHLY suggested you just copy src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints since
that has the requisite hints for the console to work. You modify it at
your own risk.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org