Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:35:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   configuring x resolutions

Hi,
	X runs fine but I noticed it was running in the 8-bit modes I set.
It wasn't running in the 16-bit modes. It has to be running in 8-bit color
because the gradients in WindowMaker are horrible.
	I thought that by not specifying any 8-bit resolutions (I am using
xf86config) the server would go straight to 16-bit modes since that is
next down the line. But when I tried starting up X it said:

Config Error: /etc/XF86Config:530

	ViewPort    0 0
	^^^^^^^^^

Mode name expected
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I think its safe to assume that I did this by removing the 8-bit modes.
But how else am I to get X to run in the 3 resolutions I specified for
16-bit color mode. I'd rather run in 16-bit than have to deal with 256
colors and ugly gradients.

Thanks,

Bart Trzynadlowski